Sunday, December 20, 2009

Off to war: fight because you've already won

These past few weeks, the very public turmoil caused by my pastor Matt Chandler's tumor discover, subsequent surgery and revelation of a malignant biopsy, has brought a lot of love and prayerfulness out of so many. As I wrote the other day, it's caused me to become, if not introspective, than it's made me spend a lot of time holding myself up against what Matt's going through. The question that rolled through my mind a lot was: if this was dropped on my lap today, would I be as strong as he's being?

But that was the wrong question. Firstly, it's not me--it's Matt. And was Matt strong enough? Well, no--if he was trying to do this on his own steam I doubt he would have made it this far, almost a solid month later, without cracking. It's been with the support of his family and the church, those both close to him and those who just hear him, that God has mustered strength for Matt. God was not surprised by this development, and while to many this may sound horrible, but it's true: God was not surprised because it was a part of His will for Matt's life, and He'll undoubtedly use it to work in so many others. As John Piper tweeted a couple days ago, "God never does only one thing. In everything he does he is doing thousands of things. Of these we know perhaps half a dozen."

But that question: it's not what I should be concerned with. God hasn't cast me adrift with no control. He's demonstrated to me over and over, in so many ways, from just the way things work out in a day to the way He delivered me to this place, to this job, to this church and to my group of men, that He is in control and working. Through the Word and through the Spirit, working in tandem to open my eyes to His hands at work, I know He's in control. And He won't throw something at me that He won't also provide the strength to endure. I have my own personal sufferings; the pain I've endured the past two months has been a trial, but it brought me to a place where I was more mindful of God on a daily basis. And in this time where the whole body of the church is facing the fear of loss, God brings a powerful reminder: we cannot lose when He's already won.

I'm not talking that "total victory" nonsense, nor am I going to turn this into another extended discussion on the prosperity gospel. But I will say that in the way I see Matt Chandler living today, I see the balance God has struck between the fact that He's already won every battle in Christ's death and resurrection, and the fact that each day we renew our battle with the spiritual enemy both internal and external. It's why Paul describes the life of a believer in 1 Corinthians 9:24 as a race, one we are to run in as though we want to win. I want to be a man who is as strong in my faith as Matt Chandler is, but even in that desire I have to recognize that coming to that point is something to be ordained by God. I look forward to that day, as I pray for renewed strength each day leading up to it, that I might fight my battles with His might and not my own.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.--Philippians 1:6

Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.--Philippians 1:19-26
Victory is the end to war, and seems like a fitting way to end this little blog series. I'm sure I'll return to the idea again, but for now I'll set it to rest. The men around me who serve as my own band of brothers and I spent today praying for Matt and his family, and for our body; I pray that this leads me and all of us to renew our efforts to reach out to all around us in love, and that it sparks a revival in our community.

In closing, check out the new video from Matt.

No comments: