Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What I do

I talk a lot about my life in philosophical and theological abstractions, but I don't say a lot specifically about my experiences. So, here's some pictures and explanations to fill up space. If I was getting paid for this, I would be a total genius.




This is my career, my calling. I happen to think this photo is pretty terrible, but it expresses the sort of energy I pour into music, especially in performance. I don't know what the point was where I realized that music was what I would be doing for the rest of my life, but I can't imagine anything else.




That's better. And yes, I am wearing the same shirt in that picture.

Music is the passion in my life that I've followed as long as I've been old enough to have one. In high school music just sort of slipped into the top position in my life, not by design but just through the course of events. Rarely was anything else allowed to conflict with a marching band rehearsal, or a concert, or any other opportunity to play.

I have come to realize in the course of my life that my passion for music and especially for performing is something God instilled in me. But even that can drag me to distraction, beyond healthy expression of what He provided, and into territory where I find myself putting it as the ultimate thing in my life. In that I always find aggravation and frustration, either in the short term because I find myself "artistically limited" or whatever, or more long-term in that the short term frustrations grow slowly into a deep-seated bitterness.

I love music. But music was given to me to point to God. Every day I have to remind myself of this.

No comments: