Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random thoughts on a Tuesday night

It's been a tumultuous few weeks that I've been pushing through. I've been both looking forward to and dreading summer. Looking forward, because--come on. It's summer. Hot weather, swimming pools, cooking out, wanting to go to Six Flags and not being able to get anyone to get up and go with you, what's not to like about it? Dread because one of my jobs ended for the summer, putting me in a tight spot. I've been searching around for more work and I've got a week-long teaching job at a school going on right now. But the ever-pressing word that's leaned on me all month has been: it doesn't matter.

I've always been concerned about where the line is in seeking God between trusting Him to provide and in entering Osteen-style prosperity gospel territory. But I think what He's pressed on me most of all as of late is that I don't need to worry about that as much as I need to dig into the gospel itself. Spending time in the Word will do far more to help me understand on a heart level where I'm going than trying to worry about the phrasing of every prayer so I don't get into some sort of begging whilst lazy territory. God needs to be at the wheel of my life; by myself I need way too many course corrections to be effective.

So, I continue on course to digging in deeper and trusting Him more, and also in letting love work in and through me. Speaking of! It's this weekend. My participation in the first weekend will be a little limited but everyone should come out all the same.

Speaking of the prosperity gospel, for anyone not familiar with my attitude towards it, this video sums it up nicely:



And finally, my band has several shows this weekend. Friday night we're playing at the Prophet Bar in Dallas; show starts at 10, and it's $10 to get it, $12 if you're under 21.



Finally finally, here is Daz, one of my new roommates:

1 comment:

Marcy said...

That's one good lookin' pup!!