Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Escape is not an option

It's another post-election day, and I think it's safe to say that, as usual, no one is really happy.  The losing side sees doom on the horizon, and the winning side is frustrated that while it didn't lose, it also didn't gain anything; essentially, the status quo remains.  Not totally, of course, but it seems that the nation is in something of a stalemate. 

So you all know what that means: let's talk about Jesus!

I've written before about the limitations of politics mixing with Christian ideas and where both sides fall short, as it were, of what the Bible actually calls us to be in Christ.  Of course, the most obvious place is that neither party puts its glory in God but rather in men, in leaders elected who achieve success of some kind or another.  They put their faith in personalities, or ideas, or desires, but not in the God who "removes and sets up kings."  On the same token, hope does not lie with men--thankfully.  Hope lies with God, who is the one who establishes governments for His glory and at the same time, provides all things for His children. 

Yesterday was sort of a strange day for me; while I certainly am not pleased by the result of the presidential election, I saw God move to display the next few steps in our path in the form of a company I've been working to get a job with extending me an offer, which I accepted.  I will be leaving Brook Mays at the end of the month and moving to a company called Uline, to work in inside sales.  It's a great opportunity for my wife and I, and we're both very excited about what lies in store for us from here.  But the attitude of many of the people of a similar political vein to me that I read or that I'm friends with has been pessimistic as of late.  Probably the most stark writing was this post on Instapundit from late last night, an email from a reader which is essentially a call for those who work hard to produce to throw in the towel and "go Galt," borrowing the concept from Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged, wherein the members of society who have been responsible for its economic growth and prosperity grow tired of a government that demonizes them and takes and takes to buy the votes of those who have less, that enslaves their efforts for its own purposes.  While I sympathize with the feeling, the frustration of knowing the direction that a growing welfare state will send this country and yet seeing so many people either not believing that we will end up there or actually desiring it, this is where Christianity and conservatism part ways.  "Going Galt" is not an option for someone who has been transformed by the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Firstly, I will remind what I said the last time I spoke on matters political: the person who stands on the other side of a political issue from me is not my enemy.  I will absolutely speak my mind on what I think is good policy, I will participate in the process, but this election should be a lesson to all that political victory is both fleeting and ultimately out of our control.  There is a call on us as Christians to stand against immorality in our culture, to speak the truth of the Gospel no matter how angry it makes those on whom it shines light, but more importantly there is a call on us to use what God gifts us with to love those around us.  If God is setting me up on a path to more earthly success, it is not my role to hoard in in fear of losing it, because it belongs to God and He'll give and take it as He pleases.  I will continue to speak out in favor of liberty and policies that promote greater prosperity, and against the wickedness of abortion and a culture that is so willing to dispose of anyone who is too great an expense or inconvenience, but all of it falls within the umbrella of the ministry of reconciliation.  My goal is not to hammer home a victory over my political opponents; I'd rather see a relationship grow with him that lets me share the Gospel and, God willing, watch the seed of God's word planted grow into a renewed life. 

Easier said then done, of course.  My inclination, as those who knew me in my youth can no doubt attest, is to go into battle swinging away.  But that too is part of Jesus' ministry of reconciliation, transforming me from someone who seeks to use the gifts of logic and language given to me for my own glory, to be "the guy who is right," and to instead seek a humbler end through them. 

This has been long and somewhat rambling, and I don't know if I've been effective in really making a point here that someone on either side will take a liking to.  I will wrap it up with two brief statements: 1) my hope does not lie in men, in elections or laws or matters of policy, but with the truth of the Gospel and the transformation God continues to effect in my heart and in the lives of my wife and myself, and 2) whether the country enters a new era of prosperity or declines in the same way Europe has, I will continue to celebrate that hope. 

Let brotherly love continue.  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.  Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.  Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.  Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  So we can confidently say,
“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”
 Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.  Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them.  We have an altar from which those who serve the tent have no right to eat.  For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the holy places by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside the camp.  So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood.  Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured.  For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.  Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.  Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.--Hebrews 13:1-16
We do not seek after escape from the troubles of life, but instead let us stand firm on the rock of Jesus Christ and know that no storm coming will shake us loose.

No comments: