Friday, December 26, 2008

Home for the holidays

This marks one year since the last time I was here at home with my family, and the first time in two that we've all been in one place together. My brother being off with the Marines makes get-togethers difficult at times, and I chose to stay in Texas for Thanksgiving this time around. It's been nice to be back with everyone, though.

And that's the first time I can remember saying that...well, almost ever. For a long time I regarded returning home with a mixture of dread and annoyance, with a dash of "well, it's free food." I considered it interference in my general desire for privacy, and what would generally begin as a relatively pleasant visit usually ended in confrontation between myself and (usually) my mom. This time around my whole attitude has been different, more helpful all around, with less effort spent trying to find solitude in a house with seven people in it.

Transformation of the heart, indeed...I just want it to keep moving.

One thing that is not moving for the moment: me. My car threw the serpentine belt and something else related to it while on the way to drop off some suits at the cleaner's. My dad and I limped it over to the dealership, where a polo shirt-clad service agent gravely assessed the situation and hung a cardboard placard with a number on the mirror. It's not as bad as it might be, but worse than it could. As usual. Oh well, better here than in the middle of BFE, Oklahoma (AKA, all of Oklahoma).

One situation that has required a more serious consideration is getting to New York in two weeks. My band is supposed to perform at a major arts conference there, but to get there I need to track down the cash to buy my own plane ticket. I think I can afford it, with what I've gotten for Christmas and earned working. I'm going to see if my dad has enough frequent flyer miles to get a discount at least...it would be nice to save a little.

I did get one nice surprise at Christmas: my sister got me a Garmin Nuvi. Generally Christmas brings generally the same things; I get a book or two, usually some new item of clothing, a couple gift cards to B&N or related spots, and of course, I always get chocolate-covered cherries. Not sure how this started, but they seem to be a universal constant. Well, I did get those, but the Garmin was a real surprise, and pleasant enough since I've been wanting a GPS now for some time.

We venture out today to my dad's dad's place in Illinois; his 80th birthday party is tomorrow and it sounds like it'll be a pretty good one.

No comments: